Rope Light Power Supply

Need help with a project? Trying to find a component? Post any general technical questions here.
diyc

Rope Light Power Supply

Post by diyc » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:02 am

Hi,

I'm trying to adjust the length of cable between some led rope lights and their power supply.
(To be specific, I'm trying to shorten the length of cable - if that makes any differnce?)

The motivation behind this project is to 'pet proof' the lights, so ideally I want/need to conceal as much of the cable as possible in conduit and any circuitry that may be required in a box of some description.

Currently there is:
A 3 pin plug.
A short length of cable.
A black box.
Some more cable - this bit's too long!
The rope lights.

The black box has Decorative Light Controller written on it and I also found this information which I'm hoping will be useful.
230-240v 50Hz 2x0.4A

Other than that it has various manufacturers logo's stamped in the plastic one of which I think is Quasar - but whether it's the same people you recommend buying 'kits' from or not I'm not sure.

I'm pretty much a newbie to electronics at component level though I am competent with general household electronics (lighting rings etc).

I'm looking for advice on how best to tackle this job.

I guess the easiest is simply to cut the wire, remove a section and re-join it with terminal block(s) - but that may be hard to conceal in conduit.

I was thinking I might remove the black box completely and replace it with something else?
If this was the case I don't really care whether the lights flash or not once the project is done.
I just want to be able to turn them on and off (and maybe dim them - but that is optional).

Anyone know where to start with this?

Thanks in advance...

Chris.

diyc

Re: Rope Light Power Supply

Post by diyc » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:30 am

I've been looking into this some more...

Could I use something like this http://www.qvsdirect.com/60VA-Premium-B ... 21549.html

To replace the mystery black box?

Thanks.

C.