Help with 555 timer and associated components.

Need help with a project? Trying to find a component? Post any general technical questions here.
csqwared

Help with 555 timer and associated components.

Post by csqwared » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:33 pm

I'm looking for help with a project please. Part of my work entails a little bit to do with road safety and we visit various media events promoting this. As part of our display I am considering a small Scalextric track fitted with safety (speed) cameras challenging the public to get round as fast as possible without triggering one. Many, many years ago I dabbled in home electronics and have a rough idea what I need bit I'm now stuck. My idea was to have a monostable timer (555), triggered by the brushes on the front of the car, sending an output pulse to an "AND" gate. The other half of the "AND" gate would receive an input from the brushes a little further up the track. If the initial (timed) pulse was still high when the second pulse arrived the output of the "AND" gate would switch on a transistor which would "flash" a small bulb/LED. I'm O.K. with the 555 timer circuitry but am totally lost after that in terms of the right components and how to connect it all up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cc