CAT 5 or Coaxial?

Need help with a project? Trying to find a component? Post any general technical questions here.
JameMichaelson

CAT 5 or Coaxial?

Post by JameMichaelson » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:22 am

I have toggeled between the usefulness of both but it boils down to a few things:

CAT 5 = 4 twisted pair (8 wires)/ power over ethernet function but soft and easily ruptured or ripped overall smaller diametre
Coaxial = technically only 1 wire inner core + outer shield but trong and durable

End result, I think CAT 5 is better and I like it because you can do more with it... alas anyone care to challenge?

I just picked this up from a comment on http://www.securitycamerainstallations.com where someone said contrary

Although, I can't just cast away poor old coaxial, serving the nation long and hard for uptine years, now could I!

Callum_Standring

Re: CAT 5 or Coaxial?

Post by Callum_Standring » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:05 am

I reckon you'd be better with CAT5 because simply, if look at the market trends, especially in the cctv world, you will see that CAT5 is being used heavily for network cameras, IP cameras, and megapixel cameras, which market has just broken through to the forefront recently in the UK and Europe. Of course we are behind the USA, but that isn't the point. The point is that all technologies are ending up on the internet, and this was clear even before the millenium came. The only problem is, safety. Is it more or less safe to have everyone watching everyone and viewing it all on the internet.

Coaxial vs Cat5 is the least of your worries, take a look at the new cctv camera technology This is the new generation coming in this year and in less than 5 years, almost all cctv will be ending up as network IP cameras.

That, my friend, is the real question.

JameMichaelson

Post by JameMichaelson » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:10 am

ok I still feel that the normal analogue cameras will remain a long time, and that internet capabilities will decrease slowly as everything tries to cram it's way on..

Biffo

Post by Biffo » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:56 pm

its a fair bet that if your cable run is subjected to a noise source somewhere, a coaxial will keep it out better than twisted pairs.

Stefan_adam679

Re: CAT5e or Coaxial? OR CAT6

Post by Stefan_adam679 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:56 pm

you guys tell about cat5e and this is better than coaxial cable but in nowadays cat6 also perform good works and people have good reviews so kindly I think cat6 conductor, and speed, spline, the jacket is very performance.

ZapbuzZ

Post by ZapbuzZ » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:13 am

if coaxial networking caught up to cat5e (aka 1 gigabit) i'd be right on it.