Project with leds

Need help with a project? Trying to find a component? Post any general technical questions here.
laserjetdog

Project with leds

Post by laserjetdog » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:02 pm

Hi
I am trying to encourage my kid to save money in a money box.
What I want to build is a money box and as the coin is entered it rolls down two differenrt shoots which as they pass different points an led will light and then go off or stay on as it completes its journey to the bottom of the box and then maybe sets off a buzzer when it hits the bottom.Maybe use up to 8 leds which can be seen as the coin makes its journey.
This has to be a simble circuit as i am a beginner to electronics.

SamRodgers

Re: Project with leds

Post by SamRodgers » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:26 pm

By far the simplest option would be to mount sensitive microswitches with their levers protruding up into the chute. I don't think it needs further explanation.

laserjetdog

Post by laserjetdog » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:38 pm

Thanks Sam,
I had thought of using microswitches but I thought that their levers might cause the coins to jam up on the way down.Would I build the circuit of leds in parallel with a microswitch in each circuit and a resistor.What type of circuit would I build to get the buzzer to work.

SamRodgers

Post by SamRodgers » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:07 pm

If you want to minimise friction, use an opto-switch like this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/worldreceiver/4247209633/

It's a plastic moulding with a slot. at one side is an LED and at the other is a phototransistor. This will be more a complicated circuit than simple mechanical switches but is a more elegant solution.

Dale

Post by Dale » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:51 pm

What if the connection between the power supply and the leds had an open circuit close together on the ramp, and as the coin rolled over these two circuits (or contacts) it would close the circuit and flash.

broken580

Re: Ultra light / small / bright clip-on LEDs

Post by broken580 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:14 am

y on as it completes its journey to the bottom of the box and then maybe sets off a buzzer when it hits the bottom.Maybe use up to 8 leds which can be seen as the coin makes its journey.
broken580

mincior

Post by mincior » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:55 pm

http://en.electroni-city.com/microcontrollers/ simple led chaser with ATTiny13. All you need to start with Atmel microcontrollers.