Solar->Battery->Timer->Water pump

Need help with a project? Trying to find a component? Post any general technical questions here.
lambert

Solar->Battery->Timer->Water pump

Post by lambert » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:46 pm

Hi all,

This is my first post after reading through the forums for a while now. I have a couple of questions, and was hoping that someone here could help me out. My plan is to have a small solar panel charging a battery in the day time. I would like to run of of this a timer to control a pump. I was hoping to use an old windscreen washer pump but maybe thats too powerful for my purposes? Basically im trying to construct a very miniature hydroponic system for growing chillis on my windowsill. The pump will need to run about four times a day for however long it takes to fill two small pots with nutrient solution, i am thinking no more than a minute.

So i guess my questions are, and sorry there are a few..
  • What sized solar panel would be suitable?
    Would a washer jet pump be too powerful?
    Is it possible to buy dc timers? (I had a quick google but only found 12v, not sure if thats suitable?
    What voltage/amperage battery do you think i should use?
Id be very grateful to hear from anyone that could help on the subject. I was hoping to have a little volt meter somewhere so i know the battery is charging and was thinking of possibly running some fans at a later date but I understand if thats all getting a bit mental and difficult.