Corded to cordless

Need help with a project? Trying to find a component? Post any general technical questions here.
Stew

Corded to cordless

Post by Stew » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:20 pm

Hello.
I know very little of electronics, if anything, which I'm sure will become obvious but thought it worth stopping by and asking my question regardless.
I'm a carpenter and joiner. One of my routers had a little accident recently which means I'm looking at replacing it's electronics module as a result. This isn't the problem - it's very straightforward in fact - but as I had the tool apart in front of me, I wondered whether it might be a candidate for a cordless conversion. I've done this with other tools - for example, I had a bushing made that allowed me to fit the head of my biscuit jointer to my cordless angle grinder. Very handy.
The router though is a 230v 1600w beastie. The brand I mostly use recently released a new 18v battery capable of delivering 90amps (I've seen someone on YT test it at a sustained 100amps/18v for 3+ minutes). In theory then, this new battery, which I have, could run my router - dependent on converting the 18v DC to 230v AC of course.
After a mornings research I've found what appears to be a glaring problem - the transformer. It looks to me like this kind of current would require some hefty winding.
I had hoped it might be done with more discrete, clever electronics but I fear I already know the answer is no. Am I right? Is there a discrete circuit option to convert the 18v, 90amp DC battery input to 230v, 1600w AC?
Any response is greatly received even it's just to confirm it can't be done without a hefty lump of winding and I'm mad to think it were possible.

David

Re: Corded to cordless

Post by David » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:03 pm

I think you are being ambitious (to say the least) to try to power a 1600 W machine from an 18v, 90A battery, even though the wattage output (18V X 90A) is apparently sufficient.

You would need an inverter to change from 18V DC to 230V AC. These are available on the net - don't bother with trying to build one yourself. You will probably need a 2000 W rated one, to cope with the increased loading when you use the router in a piece of hard wood, and no inverter is ever 100% efficient - that means that some of the power from the battery will be thrown away in heat. Cables from the battery/ies (you may need two) will need to be capable of carrying at least 100A (rather like starter motor cables) with suitably large connectors.

To my mind, this seems a little bit OTT for just a few minutes working time.

Stew

Post by Stew » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:51 pm

Thanks for your reply David.
Yes, I was looking at inverters with the possible intention of deconstructing one for my purposes. But, as I mentioned, the problem is a 2000w inverter contains either a large lump of winding as a transformer or a whole series of smaller transformers. The bulkiness kind of defeats the object. That was my question really - whether there was a more discrete circuit option without a mass of winding - it seems not.
Even if there was, it would mean building my own, which would mean learning a whole new skill set - not something I'm adverse to - but always worth asking the opinion of those already in the know.
I know the manufacturer of the new batteries intends to release a host of power hungry tools operating as per a 1600-2000w corded machine (mitre/table saws and grinders) - no inkling of cordless 18v router yet though :( - so I'm fairly confident the batteries could handle the router.
The "3+ minutes" I mentioned was a guy testing the battery beyond (100A) it's nominal rated operating 90 amps. It was also at continuous full load. Real world conditions aren't like that so you'd get more than a few minutes working time.
I had thought about removing the old 230v motor and electronics module and replacing them with the 18v equivalents from a grinder with a damaged front end I have about but alas, the router has a straight through armature - meaning the collets screw straight into the spindle of the armature. Oh well. It was an entertaining thought while it lasted :|
Thanks again and all the best

David

Post by David » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:29 pm

I'm sorry that I seem to have poured cold water on your project. I understand your comments about the inverter containing beefy transformers etc, but the way to look at this is to say that manufacturers would not use a lot of expensive thick copper wire if they could get away with using smaller transformers! Inverters from decent manufacturers will be as small, as light, and as efficient as they can be (at least, with the present state of technology will allow).

Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year