Capacitor Help

Need help with a project? Trying to find a component? Post any general technical questions here.
sail&fish

Capacitor Help

Post by sail&fish » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:07 am

I am trying to locate a capacitor to replace one that has blown in an air hockey table fan.

The writing on the capacitor states 0.75uF (I think) and has MEA 450VAC written on it. It is yellow, 30mm long, 15mm wide and about 6mm deep. I have not been able to locate a replacement MEA capacitor and rapid electronics could not help. I attach a picture. Anybody know where I could locate one or recommend an alternative to replace it with?

The fan (Model RCH2048S2-C) appears to have an 80W motor and states it is 115V although it has been running on 240V and was supplied with a UK plug. The motor stopped running but will run if I spin it but not at full speed.

David

Re: Capacitor Help

Post by David » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:02 pm

Smallish caps such as this one are often used with motors to provide an extra phase in order to generate a rotating field, which drags the rotor around. I am wondering if running a 110v motor on 240v has contributed to the demise of the cap?
Motor start/run caps should be very readily available - try RS and the universal guru - Google. The actual value is probably not too critical - but the AC voltage rating must be high.

It is possible that the motor may now be faulty, and in the absence of a working cap it would certainly not run correctly anyway. A quick check could be made with a known good microwave capacitor. These usually have values around 1 uF and very high voltage ratings.

sail&fish

Post by sail&fish » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:00 pm

The fan has been used for some time, we bought the table second hand. I will order a (CBB61 Polypropylene Film Motor Start Run Capacitor 1uF 50/60Hz 450VAC) from the auction site for £1 and see how it goes when it arrives in January.

David

Post by David » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:50 pm

Fine. Post your results here!
Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year.

sail&fish

Post by sail&fish » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:46 pm

That was quick, ordered 24 Dec, fitted today all the way from China. New 1uF Capacitor and all is working again thankyou