HELP! Countdown timer plug/socket with remote controls wanted

Need help with a project? Trying to find a component? Post any general technical questions here.
belelectronics

HELP! Countdown timer plug/socket with remote controls wanted

Post by belelectronics » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:53 pm

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help..... NB I'm NOT an electrician, or engineer, nor am I any good at DIY! I've tried searching the internet for such a product but with no luck, so I thought I'd ask for help.

I’m looking for a plug socket with two or three wireless remote control devices (buttons) with a countdown timer, probably 115 minutes.

My issue is that hot water takes AGES to come through the pipes. I have a hot water circulation pump that I can turn on and this helps the problem, BUT a) this wastes a lot of hot water and b) I can’t use it for very long with my hot water system.

SO, I decided to use a simple countdown timer socket which the pump plugs into. (The timer socket is called an: Energenie 30 minute run down timer plug). This works well but I have to go to the airing cupboard each time to press the button, which isn’t ideal obviously.

SO, I’ve been looking for a timer socket that could be controlled by remote control buttons. I’d like 3 remote control buttons (kitchen and two bathrooms). I’d like to be able to press the button and the pump would come on and then switch off again after 15 minutes.

As I said, I've tried searching the internet such a product and can find lots of things (smart devices) for use with Alexa, or a phone, but I don't want to use any of those, I just want a simple button or light switch style remote control.

Can anyone suggest where I could buy something like this please? Or, am I asking on the wrong sort of forum in which case where should I go for advice?

Many thanks in advance,
Belinda

David

Re: HELP! Countdown timer plug/socket with remote controls wanted

Post by David » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:41 pm

Hello

I am very surprised that you did not find a suitable switch in a net search.
Try Amazon and look for 'remote switches for 230v switching ' and be prepared for a huge number.

I think you may find you will focus on the type you need in quite a short time. I looked at a single page and found something that you might think about - a single mains switch with two on/off remote pocket actuators for about £40. You could use the switch for turning the pump on and off as required, from anywhere in the house.
PLEASE TAKE CARE. Get a professional to fix the switch and wiring, and make sure all is safe in the water supply.

Hope this helps

belelectronics

Post by belelectronics » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:04 pm

Hi David,

Many thanks for your reply and very sorry I didn't respond. I thought I had, but clearly not...

I did a search for "remote switches for 230v switching" but couldn't find something that looks right. Any chance you could send me the link of something that might be the answer to my problem?

Thanks very much.

David

Post by David » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:37 pm

Amazon has over 2,000 results just for "remote socket control" in a quick look. It is difficult for me to know just what you want, so all I can say is that you will have to find just what you want by doing your own searching. A professional will help with the choice you need, and also make sure that any new switches are properly fixed and connected correctly. Don't forget that 230V (mains) can be lethal.

magpie

Post by magpie » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:33 pm

Try uni-com. I have a three socket hand held remote that has not failed in over a year.

They can be obtained local and Amazon.