wire identification

Need help with a project? Trying to find a component? Post any general technical questions here.
mark

wire identification

Post by mark » Wed May 13, 2020 7:00 am

Hello all, This is my first post, I have just joined here as I have been getting involved in more and more little projects over the past few years and it will be helpful to get other opinions now and then.
Right now I am fitting a used dishwasher motor/pump to a home made parts washer but I not 100% certain which wire is which (positive or negative inputs) as they are both the same blue colour, I thought the neg would go to the capacitor but as I am not certain of this I thought why not just ask, I put the tape on for identification, as I say I think the one with the tape on is the neg but would appreciate it if anyone can let me know for certain rather than me getting it wrong and ruining the motor.
DSCF5810.jpg
Attachments
DSCF5811.jpg

David

Re: wire identification

Post by David » Thu May 14, 2020 8:22 pm

Hello
With a small induction motor, it is common to have a motor run capacitor across part of the motor main coils. This gives an extra phase angle and the rotor effectively sees a two-phase travelling field which drags the rotor around.

Assuming that you have not altered anything on the motor itself, the motor should work with the mains input blue wires either way round because the supply is AC.

Because you will be dealing with mains voltage and current, please do use all PPE and take the greatest care. Don't work on live equipment.

Hope this helps.

mark

Post by mark » Fri May 15, 2020 7:23 am

Hi David

Thank you for your reply and info, I did think either way round would be alright for the motor but I was not 100% sure about capacitor damage so I wanted to ask just in case, so thanks, will get it all fitted now

cheers

Mark

piratepaul

Post by piratepaul » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:42 pm

It looks like one blue goes to the same side of the connector as the black wire on the connector and the other blue goes to the red.

You could test continuity with a multi meter if in doubt.

piratepaul

Post by piratepaul » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:43 pm

That could have been black wire on the capacitor.