Transistor NPN.

Need help with a project? Trying to find a component? Post any general technical questions here.
simonslimline

Transistor NPN.

Post by simonslimline » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:47 pm

Hi,

I am trying to replace some parts in a KRK Rokit RP8 G2 active speaker.
I have to replace a transistor (NPN) it is marked with the below info.
6 6 7
8E 4
E C B

Is it as simple as swapping it out for one the same Current/wattage/voltage etc? Would it matter if it was over specced to this one?

I can source this type on ebay, however the seller is away currently unfortunately.

Thanks in advance.

Simon.

David

Re: Transistor NPN.

Post by David » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:05 pm

Hello.

I suppose the answer is both yes and no.
I would expect that a consumer electronics product would be built down to a price, and therefore the manufacturers would try to get away with the most generic or cheap components available. Do you have a circuit diagram (schematic) of the loudspeaker? Do you know just what the transistor is doing? Can you post a picture of it in place? It would help to know if this transistor is in the output stages, and therefore needs to be beefy.

If we could get the specification of the transistor we could easily find suitable alternatives. With a bit more info we can talk in greater detail about swapping it for an equivalent (or better) one.

simonslimline

Post by simonslimline » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:50 pm

Thanks for the reply David,

I have fixed it now. Just replaced 2 jumpers, 3 capacitors, 2 resistors and the transistor ( used a 2SD667)

I have stereo sound once again, i would not recommend these speakers though as i looked in the other and i suspect i will be doing some work in that one soon. The manufactures put this black goo stuff inside which sticks over components and actually becomes conductive over time. not good really. :)

David

Post by David » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:55 pm

Pleased that you got things fixed.