Ultrasonic Humidifier

Need help with a project? Trying to find a component? Post any general technical questions here.
gresleyman

Ultrasonic Humidifier

Post by gresleyman » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:10 pm

Hi.

This is my first post on this Forum, my name is Ray, i am a retired Mechanical Engineer.

Te ancient Humidifier i purchased years ago to control the Humidity in my music room (Wooden acoustic guitars) has finally stopped working, being a retired engineer, and with an eye on my pension, i have decided to make one, there is one thing slowing me down at the moment. My Humidifier was of the Ultrasonic type, i understand how Peizo Technology works, but i am struggling to find, an Off the shelf Transducer generator. My humidifier used a 36 volt Peizo Transducer, which seems to have been adequate for my needs over the years, can anyone recommend a vendor in the UK where i may purchase one? E Bay seems to have lots of Transducers, but not many Generators, only the small type from Chine for misting up Water features, i do not think these will be big enough.

I look forward to your reply's.

Regards

Ray

David

Re: Ultrasonic Humidifier

Post by David » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:34 am

Google is the universal guru for finding almost everything. You don't mention how large your old transducer is, or its frequency, or a guess at its power output. Does it work submerged? Search for "piezo transducers" or "ultrasonic transducers" and see if you can find any that resemble the one you had before.

I remember the days when an humidifier was a bowl of water in front of an open fire or on top of a radiator ... perhaps you could try this as a stopgap?