LED substitute for halogen bulb in film editor

Need help with a project? Trying to find a component? Post any general technical questions here.
Begadoc

LED substitute for halogen bulb in film editor

Post by Begadoc » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:12 pm

I have a Hanimex film editor which uses a 6-8 volt 10 watt bulb which has blown and, apart from difficulty of sourcing a replacement, it seems better to replace it with an LED light source. The problem is deciding on what to use which would be a suitable LED. How can I equate the output of a 10 watt standard bulb to that of a LED. I was thinking of simply using 1 (2, 3, ?) white LEDs strapped together with suitable voltage regulator and placing that where the bulb was. Very unsophisticated! Any better suggestions?
Thanks.

David

Re: LED substitute for halogen bulb in film editor

Post by David » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:26 am

Seems a good idea to upgrade the light source. White leds are widely available in 3, 5 and 10mm dia sizes. and also SMDs. I don't think you have much option but to experiment with the number of Leds until you get the effect you want. You might like to have a look on EBay. There are also some 12v luminaires which may be of use. There is a calculator on this site for working out the values of the current-limiting series resistors that will be necessary for any given voltage and current.