My Hoover's (vacuum) capacitor is broken

Help & Feedback for Electronics Assistant Software.
Post here if you need help, want to report a bug or have comments or suggestions for future releases.
neroman

My Hoover's (vacuum) capacitor is broken

Post by neroman » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:11 pm

Hi,

SAMSUNG vacuum cleaner MODEL: SC4020

http://images.samsung.com/is/image/sams ... ad-Source$

My hoover suddenly stopped work and I opened it to find out what happened. Then I found that a capacitor burned. This capacitor is: 150n K 275V 486 D MKP X2 (WITHOUT ANY BRAND NAME)

I searched the market and i did not find exactly the same capacitor. Then I bought another one which is: 150n j 1000V PHILIPS 376 KP/MMKP HQ 94 48

My questions and queries are:

1. Does the new capacitor I bought has Plus and Minus polarity (DC) or it doesn't matter how to connect it. (if not, does it work under AC ?)

2. Comparing the manufacturer's capacitor with the new which I have bought, the nano values are same (both have 150n) but the voltage varies (manufacturer's capacitor has 275V and PHILIPS which I bought has 1000V). Is that a problem?

3. Both legs of the new capacitor I bought, are very short in length because the new capacitor is wider than the manufacturer's capacitor . While I was trying to solder the legs with the wire, suddenly both legs were cut out. Then, I was forced to dig both sides of the protrusions, using pliers, in order to see the braces contacts but I have done little damage at the sides of the capacitor. Now, I can see the bonds but the sides of the capacitor has been little mashed.

If i connect the capacitor by ignoring the little damage i have done and if my hoover works normal, is there any possibility in the near future, my vacuum (engine) to catch fire or explode?

Please advice. Thanks

stillbatt

Re: My Hoover's (vacuum) capacitor is broken

Post by stillbatt » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:47 am

Hello
How can I implement a variable phase-cutting rectifier on a 50KHz current transformer secondary?
"Still Batt"

angleofphase

Post by angleofphase » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:53 am

OK, you've got a lot of questions here; first off,the voltage: the rated voltage is the MAX you can use it for. if the rated voltage is more, it's generally fine. the capacitance can usually(not in all cases) be more, as long as it meets the minimum(in an LC circuit, it must be exact,but I don't believe it applies t your situation). AC & DC(polarized capacitors are not interchangeable). DC capacitors can be distinguished by: there is usually a gray r black stripe down the side with repeated minus signs down the side, & the positive lead is always longer- now back to vacuum cleaners you'll have to excuse me, my period key just stopped working lol I've personally never seen one that was not AC(almost always AC brush motors cause of the higher HP developed for it's size) that's what is interesting here; capacitors on motors are usually start, run, or start/run varieties for induction AC motors - not brush In any case, I would not use the damaged cap, it may or may not work, & could be dangerous you really need to identify the type motor you have here, which should be easy if you know what basic electrical parts look like if there is some sort of diode(rectifier) system, likely a bridge rectifier, then it's an AC motor; in addition, if you have a basic working knowledge of motors, you'll know if it has brushes if so, it could be AC or DC(you'll know by the presence or absence of a rectifier) If AC, you MUST use a non-polarized cap if dc, you must use a DC(polarized) cap, being SURE to connect it in the correct polarity - Carefully, test the leads with an auto ranging meter to first, be sure it is indeed DC, & second, to determine polarity - remember, it should be marked on the cap, or the pos lead is longer if it is a brushless, AC motor, you have an induction motor to replace a start, run or run/start cap, I'd suggest getting a good book from the lib as they are not the same as regular caps & cannot even be tested without a meter made for them, such as an "Annie" you don;t really have to test the old one if your sure that's the prob you do need to determine which of the 3 types you have(the book) then buy one - remember,voltage ratings can be higher, capacitance closer, but can be slightly higher hope this is of some help here - I do have experience in this area good luck!

angleofphase

Post by angleofphase » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:59 am

correction to the previous post: if it has some sort of a rectifier system, it's a DC motor - can;t believe i made that booboo lol