Assistance please with a water pump switch

Help & Feedback for Electronics Assistant Software.
Post here if you need help, want to report a bug or have comments or suggestions for future releases.
hughsie

Assistance please with a water pump switch

Post by hughsie » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:23 pm

HI, I know nothing about electronics but need to design a simple (?) switch to control water flow into a tank of water.
Basically what I need is a pump which is controlled by the level of water in a tank. I need a fish tank of water to fill and drain with certain criteria.
When the tank is full I need the pump to stop. The water will flow out naturally (so I am not concerned about this) but when it drains I need the pump to kick in again after a certain time limit - prob about 15 mins (but I may need to adjust this from time to time.
The electronic component will be part of a water feature. How would I do this. Is there anyone that would be prepared to create one for me (obviously at a cost). Something that I could aquire and then wire in myself as part of the switch for the pump.
Thanks in anticipation
www.aquaponicworld.com

piratepaul

Re: Assistance please with a water pump switch

Post by piratepaul » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:03 pm

Not a problem ... it will cost you.

I install float switches on boats for a living (among other bits and pieces)... put in what ever timers you want and run the mass produced version off the line in China if required... I see you have a company name.

Tar&stuff.

Alton0

Post by Alton0 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:53 am

The water will flow out naturally (so I am not concerned about this) but when it drains I need the pump to kick in again after a certain time limit - prob about 15 mins (but I may need to adjust this from time to time.

iseeq iseeq business to business lead generation
examsking examsking
learnspanishonline learnspanishonline.me
Last edited by Alton0 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
liza

piratepaul

Post by piratepaul » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:49 pm

When the water drains out the switch switches off (it may be poss to get one which turns on)... this can be made to switch the timer on which kicks the pump some time later...
I need to know more ...
What voltage is the pump?
How many amps does it draw?

piratepaul

Post by piratepaul » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:18 pm

You need a switch to switch off the pump when it is full, a float switch from a boat and a relay or a simple digi box.
When it is empty, another float switch switches of a relay (or the digi box) triggers the timer which turns on the pump.
If you want to do it yourself I am happy to give advice... this is a free forum (I am not site crew) if you want me to make a digi box it will cost you.
There are relays on a car which will do (scrap yard cheap) if you dont want a digi box... a timer I need to look up or make one and put it in the digi box.

I need to know what size the pump is.
What can you tell me about it... is it 12v?... how many amps ?(symbol A) or how many watts ?(symbol W) may be it says so many GPH on the pump that will give me an idea of its size.

piratepaul

Post by piratepaul » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:35 pm

It is poss to use just the top switch.
The float switch on a boat is designesd to pump water out when it gets high and switch off when it is low... what you want is the opposite, hence the relay. The relay reverses the switch logic.