How to use 4volts to switch 12v ign live in a car

Need help with a project? Trying to find a component? Post any general technical questions here.
audiman28q

How to use 4volts to switch 12v ign live in a car

Post by audiman28q » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:09 pm

Hi guys-need to pic ur brains,
The stereo on my car has 2 interfaces connected to it-1 operates the cd changer in the boot the other allows a Parrot MKi car kit to play music from a connected phone.My problem is that when the car kit is playing the cd transport continues to run so what i want to do is design and build a switch that will allow me to cut the 12v ign live to the changer when the car kit is playing so pausing the transport.The interface that allows the car kit input has a status LED that generates 4v when its selected,i want to use this to cut the 12v ign live.i could be wrong here but from reasearch ive done i belive that I can use a transistor and relay arrangement to do this.my idea is to use a 5v reed relay,TIP3055 transistor and a 100 Ohm resistor to achieve this however Im not sure how to rig this up and belive I will need a diode in there somewhere to stop the relay coil damaging the transistor.Would love some help here please as I really want to do this and for it to work.Im a pure novice who understans a little but woul love to learn a lot more-cheers

audiman28q

Re: How to use 4volts to switch 12v ign live in a car

Post by audiman28q » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:20 pm

Aww come on guys there must be someone out there who can help me with this-pwease!!!!!!!!!!!!