New beginner also new to Web sit

Need help with a project? Trying to find a component? Post any general technical questions here.
Tiny-James

New beginner also new to Web sit

Post by Tiny-James » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:46 am

Hello thank you for adding me to your website.
I'm a total newbie to the world of electronics.

I am building a inmoov robot head. I have a good support system for this project But I have decided to build a Oscilloscope DSO 138 in kit form to practise my soldering skills.

I do have the following tools

Bench power supply
Multimeter
Adjustable soldering iron
PCB holder also many hand tools

The Oscilloscope is in component form and I'm having trouble identifying my resistors, with the help of my phone (photos) I can see the colour band BUT using the Multimeter to double check the resistor OHMS is proving harder than I thought my meter has five ohms settings

2m
200 ohms I think that is correct it just has 200 printed on the meter

Any way a bit about me I'm 55 years young and wondering if I to old to start a hobby in AI & electronics as I know next to nothing about either, but I'm shielding and so so board. I don't work as I have too many disability

James

David

Re: New beginner also new to Web sit

Post by David » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:05 pm

Hello.
Congrats to start a new hobby at 55! Electronics is one that can be interesting for the rest of your life. Please don't buy rubbish parts and materials. That is the quickest way to get disinterested!

Meters usually have a scale of tens of ohms like this:
up to 200 (200 ohms)
up to 2K (2,000 ohms)
up to 20K (20,000 ohms)
up to 200K (200,000 ohms)
up to 2M (2,000,000 ohms)
You might see scales in ranges of 100s, and so on - especially in old time analogue meters. Some of the old meters (such as the AVO) were truly beautiful.

There are lots of hints and tips on this site, and it would be worth while to look up the relevant sites - Beginners Guide, Forum, and FAQs to start. They are extremely easy to use. Don't forget that soldering resistors and everything else requires clean surfaces, including copper printed boards. Many poor joints are as a result of a greasy bit of wire!

Above everything else, don't forget to cease work on parts that are exposed to the mains and could be inadvertantly live. Electricity is very dangerous.

Hope this helps.

Tiny-James

Re: New beginner also new to Web sit

Post by Tiny-James » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:55 am

Well after a lot of thinking about my inability to identify the resistors I have decided to invest in a better multimeter as I realized that I only bought the meter in to first place for a contact buzzer for a project I was doing years ago with a CNC machine.

so I have bought this Meter https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09 ... UTF8&psc=1