Isolating a shower

Need help with a project? Trying to find a component? Post any general technical questions here.
Tryin2learn

Isolating a shower

Post by Tryin2learn » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:55 pm

Hiya I have a electric shower and every time I get in you can guarantee one of the kids will flush the toilet and I end up with stone cold water . I am sick to the back teeth explaining but get nowhere there only kids .Right so it got me thinking there is a solenoid valve in the shower normally closed if I take a tail of the solenoid and connect it to a normally open solenoid valve in the toilet supply pipe when I or anyone else in the family switch the shower on it will shut the supply to the toilet great a relaxing hot shower . Any feedback would be welcome

Thanks tryin2learn.

Tryin2learn

Re: Isolating a shower

Post by Tryin2learn » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:22 pm

Tryin2learn wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:55 pm Hiya I have a electric shower and every time I get in you can guarantee one of the kids will flush the toilet and I end up with stone cold water . I am sick to the back teeth explaining but get nowhere there only kids .Right so it got me thinking there is a solenoid valve in the shower normally closed if I take a tail of the solenoid and connect it to a normally open solenoid valve in the toilet supply pipe when I or anyone else in the family switch the shower on it will shut the supply to the toilet great a relaxing hot shower . Any feedback would be welcome

Thanks tryin2learn.

David

Post by David » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:54 am

Shouldn't be too difiicult to arrange. what solenoid valves are you intending using? Can you post a schematic of your idea? I must make my warning here - you will be working with mains voltages, so beware. Make sure that everyting is safe.

BTW, assuming that the cold water supply is piped to both toilet and shower, when your children flush the toilet, why do you get cold water out of the shower? Surely the reduced flow of cold water from the shower will either be scalding hot because of the water heater continuing to heat the water willy-nilly, or the thermostat in the shower will keep the flow at the set temperature, abiet at a lower flow rate?

Hope this helps.

Tryin2learn

Post by Tryin2learn » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:27 pm

Hiya thanks for the reply not sure what solenoid valves to use yet it will be one of those straight compression joints with a solenoid valve combined.you can get the valves in different voltages mains 12 and 24 volt . I don't know yet what voltage is at the solenoid valve in the shower if it's mains then I will use same voltage joint valves . If I fail of the one in the shower box to the first one in the toilet then on to the one at the kitchen sink branch . My pipes have already been earthed in the bathroom and kitchen so that side is done thanks Keith

David

Post by David » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:09 am

Hello.

I am still not quite sure why you have solenoid valves to shower and toilet. Is it possible that they are items that are roughly the same size as a 15mm compression coupler, with just a small screwdriver slot on the side to act as an inline tap? I am asking because I cannot think of any reason to have an electrical control of the cold water supply - the 15mm compression coupler with tap will only need adjusting a) to isolate or b) to set the flow rate - both options being "set and forget" and you have a cold supply to both shower and toilet.

Can you post a pic? How do you see the electrical system working?

Tryin2learn

Post by Tryin2learn » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:31 pm

Hiya I don't know how to post a picture . I will try to make it more clearer . The manufacturer's put a solenoid valve inside the shower box so when you switch on the shower it allows the water to flow . The toilet is before the shower on the Same pipe feed so when the toilet cistern is filling up it draws water pressure away from the shower . My shower is a electric instantaneous one you turn on a switch and get water to your liking unless someone turns a tap on elsewhere in the house . My thinking is when I switch the shower on the solenoid in the shower box opens and you get a water supply if I take a feed of this solenoid to the solenoid that fill's the toilet a normally open one as the shower is switched on this one will close so thereby keeping the water flowing to the shower . Keith

magpie

Post by magpie » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:50 pm

I am thinking like David. I would fit an isolating valve in the toilet feed [ perhaps one is already fitted ] to adjust the rate of fill. To guess what is happening to the shower.... The toilet is taking all the water on refill, and putting the shower below its minimum range of water pressure, thus cutting out the heater. Run the shower whilst ajusting the flow rate on the toilet to see if you can reach a conclusion.They call them Isolating Valves, but they are non electrical and come with a screwdriver slot or handle to adjust, compression, and only about £3 each.

Tryin2learn

Post by Tryin2learn » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:29 pm

Hiya well that's a good idea there is already one on-one the pipe that leads to the cistern it is fully open . I could try it but then I still would have the kitchen sink . That's why I was going the solenoid way Keith.

Tryin2learn

Post by Tryin2learn » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:30 pm

Hiya well that's a good idea there is already one on the pipe that leads to the cistern it is fully open . I could try it but then I still would have the kitchen sink . That's why I was going the solenoid way Keith.

Tryin2learn

Post by Tryin2learn » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:57 pm

Hiya all . I have adjusted the inline valve under the toilet cistern and that has solved the issue with the toilet taking pressure away from the shower .Now I just need to sort out the branch that feeds the kitchen sink 'washing machine and dishwasher . Thanks all for the advice you have given Keith