newbee with a question. use motion to play music?

Need help with a project? Trying to find a component? Post any general technical questions here.
walt1122

newbee with a question. use motion to play music?

Post by walt1122 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:18 am

Hi all, I had a friend ask me if I could figure out a way to have a motion detector trigger a device to play one particular song. If it were just to have the detector trigger a device and just play a CD or some piece of equipment I might be able to figure out something but...The person is asking that the music starts from the beginning each time it is triggered by the motion detector. I haven't got a clue on how to do that! I looked on YouTube and did some surfing on the web but nothing seemed to be what I was looking for. I do not have a strong background in electronics. Would some one be able to explain what I would need to make something that would do what I'm looking for? Can someone help me understand things like Arduino & Raspberry Pi, are they things I can use along with relays to make this work? Especially the programming part!

thanks for any help or suggestions.

Walt

David

Re: newbee with a question. use motion to play music?

Post by David » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:41 am

I presume that for the motion sensor you will use something like a burglar alarm PIR. the output from that could be patched to the CD player, with a CD containing the single piece of music to be heard. (BTW, won't that get a bit boring?) I have checked one of my CD players, and having pressed "play", my player goes back to the start of the first track when I push the |<< button. Could be an idea to try if you have a player available. See Google for low cost ones. You will need to find out which contacts of the switch in the CD are made when pressed, and where these will be switched by the relay in the PIR. First check that the output switch of the PIR is FULLY isolated from the mains, and if not, a further relay will be necessary to provide isolation.

Don't forget that safety must be your FIRST consideration.

Hope this gives you something to experiment with.