What transformer for a 5kw industrial heater? Help!

Need help with a project? Trying to find a component? Post any general technical questions here.
boosaraff

What transformer for a 5kw industrial heater? Help!

Post by boosaraff » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:42 pm

I bought this heater, assuming it used a regular 3pin transformer ( which I have) but the heater is fitted with a 5pin plug. I can’t find anything online and I’m lost as to what I can use to get the darn thing to work. URL below.
5Kw Premium Industrial Fan Heater 3 phase https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MG57ND9/ ... iAb10802DB

Thanks in advance!

David

Re: What transformer for a 5kw industrial heater? Help!

Post by David » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:41 pm

What mains supplies do you have? What is the transformer you refer to for - is it for supplying 110V supply for tools, etc?

If you have just the usual 230V mains supply, then you will certainly not be able to use a three phase powered heater. You can only try to get your money back from Amazon.

The normal mains supply is fused at 13A max at the plug, and a 5KW heater will draw over 20A from a single phase supply.

If you do have a three phase supply available, then it should be simple to find the appropriate plug for 3ph sockets. Can you post photos of the business ends of the various plugs and sockets you have ?