Trouble with batteries,handsets, cradles?.....

Need help with a project? Trying to find a component? Post any general technical questions here.
Adela

Trouble with batteries,handsets, cradles?.....

Post by Adela » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:20 am

I hope I'm in the right forum? Also hope to get help about the following:

1. I have Panasonic KX-TG4773B corded telephone which worked well, with 3 cordless handsets.

2. When the original handset batteries expired I bought special Panasonic Eneloop NI-MH Precharged AAA batteries but lasted 2 days and died. Amazon quickly sent me replacement and it happened the same.

3. I don't know if it's the wrong batteries, or, the wrong handsets, or, the wrong charger-cradles for the handsets.

But when I put the only one handset still working well (with the original Panasonic batteries!), on the cradle where the handset had stopped working...it continued to work well so I suspect it may be the batteries? Two sets of them! Is it possible?

I'm out of warranty by now. Anyone would happen to know? Thanks ever so much for any help. :-)

David

Re: Trouble with batteries,handsets, cradles?.....

Post by David » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:20 pm

The manual states that the batteries will only last about 12 hours "in continuous use", so it sounds as if the handset batteries are not being charged after use. Do you leave the handsets on their chargers whenever they are not in use? It is OK to have the charger bases plugged into the mains and switched on indefinitely - that will not harm the batteries. Are the contacts on the handsets and the charger bases clean?

Adela

Post by Adela » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:06 pm

David wrote:The manual states that the batteries will only last about 12 hours "in continuous use", so it sounds as if the handset batteries are not being charged after use. Do you leave the handsets on their chargers whenever they are not in use?
Thank you so much David. I think Panasonic is crazy and abusive to have batteries last only 12 hours, but if that's what it is...

I thought the batteries recharge themselves while sitting on their chargers, or at least that's what I read somewhere. Yes, I do leave the handsets on their chargers even when not in use. Since I use them ONLY to receive calls it wouldn't be possible for me to guess when I'll be using them so I could leave them in the charger longer. I use them when I'm on hold and walk to another room while waiting, then I carry it with me, and in other similar situations.
It is OK to have the charger bases plugged into the mains and switched on indefinitely - that will not harm the batteries. Are the contacts on the handsets and the charger bases clean ?
Are you saying to plug the chargers into the main phone to recharge them? I wouldn't mind doing that whenever the batteries stop working. Did I understand correctly?

Please forgive my ignorance in these matters, but by "switching on indefinitely" you mean to plug them into the main phone whenever the batteries stop working? i.e., around every 12 hours? Also, how do I check to see if the contacts on the handsets and charger bases are clean.

Thanks again a lot! :)

David

Post by David » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:11 am

The Panasonic NI-MH batteries are rechargeable, and meant to be recharged after use. You should have a mains plug on the end of a lead to each handset cradle, and this is to be plugged into a convenient wall socket. (At least, that is how my Panasonic phone works, with five cordless handsets). The cradle into which each handset sits charges the handset when it is not in use. The data connection between the main unit and each handset is by radio. Check with the manual which should have come with the phone.

Adela

Post by Adela » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:42 pm

David wrote:The manual states that the batteries will only last about 12 hours "in continuous use", so it sounds as if the handset batteries are not being charged after use. Do you leave the handsets on their chargers whenever they are not in use? It is OK to have the charger bases plugged into the mains and switched on indefinitely - that will not harm the batteries. Are the contacts on the handsets and the charger bases clean?
I understand now and will read again the Operating Instructions, and yes, I leave the handsets on their chargers, and the chargers plugged in, all the time (do you call the "mains" the power outlets, like on the wall? Or the main phone, like the base phone? (Maybe I have a little problem with the terminology) lol!

But one thing puzzles me to death: the Panasonic batteries that came with the phone set lasted over a year and I never had to recharge them at all. The problem started when I bought new ones. Of course, the prospect of having to recharge them everyday (I bought a charger along with the 4-pack batteries) doesn't make me jump with joy. I thank you so much for all your help and patience! :)

David

Post by David » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:06 am

Yes, the "mains" supply refers to the wall sockets. A thought - are you sure that you purchased rechargeable batteries? My reason for asking is that I can readily believe that ordinary non-rechargeables would be exhausted comparatively quickly, but with the correct rechargeables inserted correctly into the handsets, put into the cradles, and plugged into the mains, should mean that you have no problems. Once again, the operating manual should be examined!

Adela

Post by Adela » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:44 pm

When I purchased these special Panasonic Eneloop NI-MH batteries, I asked for, and it says so all over the package:
"Ready to use Rechargeable Battery" and "Rechargeable AND Guaranteed to Recharge up to 2100 Times" and that "It holds 70% charge up to 10 years". I'd say this is too good to be true isn't it lol!

Also, each time they lasted only 2 days I tried recharging them on my little Panasonic charger. Per instructions, it takes 7 hours, but it took only 6. Could THIS be the culprit? Who knows. I blame Panasonic for their "Support" site which is a joke.

What do you think of the original batteries that lasted for a year without recharging even once!? BTW, when I put these good batts into the cradle where no batts lasted, they also stopped working, so it could be the cradle? Mysteries of Panasonic!

I'll just have to learn to live with this until these batts no longer can be recharged as with the original batts. But I thank you again for being very kind and helpful! :)