Sourcing A 1/8 stereo No Solder Plug With Screw Terminals

Need help with a project? Trying to find a component? Post any general technical questions here.
pollys13a

Sourcing A 1/8 stereo No Solder Plug With Screw Terminals

Post by pollys13a » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:34 pm

Hi,
The attached screenshot is of a Radio Shack gold series 1/8 stereo plug 274 - 0869 available in the USA. Can see the type of plug very clearly in the YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMAm0P04aGA 2 mins 46 secs into video :)
This is a no solder plug just tighten the screws over the wires.
I've tried to locate the same type of plug in the UK. I used Google search terms, 1/8" stereo plug with screw connectors, lugs.terminals Nothing came up I must being using the wrong UK search description.
Where in the UK or on Ebay can I get an 1/8" 2.5mm stereo plug like this, also a 1/4 inch stereo plug, mono 1/4 inch jack plug with the same screw type terminals?
Cheers.
Attachments
RadioShack.jpg
RadioShack.jpg (81.1 KiB) Viewed 10359 times

David

Re: Sourcing A 1/8 stereo No Solder Plug With Screw Termina

Post by David » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:14 pm

A quick Google search for "3.5mm headphone plug screw connectors" came up with plenty of this size of plugs, incl solder ones. The first to come up is probably what you want - but they are quite expensive!
The 1/4" jack plugs are also very readily available - try Maplins or RS. You might have to use the metric equivalent of 6.25mm. Screw connectors are probably more common on the larger size.
As a general rule I would recommend you use soldered ones in each size - they are usually very reliable.

pollys13a

Post by pollys13a » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:50 pm

Hi,
" A quick Google search for "3.5mm headphone plug screw connectors" came up with plenty of this size of plugs, incl solder ones."
I Googled, 3.5mm headphone plug screw connectors, I Googled images too, I couldn't see any,non solder screw terminal plugs. Could you give me the links for the screw terminal ones you saw please? I rang Maplins, no joy, searched RS no luck there either
I bought some solder type plugs, I want to replace the stereo headphone plug for my MP3 music player.
I have a set of helping hands, a solder sucker from many years ago ied soldering up, complete disaster, using insulating tape to try to separate the terminals.
I don't have the time to learn the art of soldering just for my headphones, the screw terminal plugs seemed for me a much more easy, straighforward approach. I don't want to learn how to solder.
Can anyone help?
Thank you.

http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/43-28 ... w-terminal

David

Post by David » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:40 pm

This came up third in the list when I tried it:

http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/43-28 ... w-terminal

pollys13a

Post by pollys13a » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:15 am

Hi,
Yes I saw those ones, I looked at the PDF, just below the picture of the plug itself. The PDF shows the internal assembly, don't see how it works, also are these stereo plugs?
The RadioShack type plugs must be available in the UK?
Thanks Simon, for your help on this.
I think these headphone plugs are a bit of a swiz, most people, when the headphone plug goes will just junk them and buy a new set of headphones. I might have to get some through Ebay USA :)

pollys13a

Post by pollys13a » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:17 pm

Uum, as you might have gathered, has been some years since I dug out my soldering iron and solder sucker. I've had a look at a couple of YouTube on how to solder up a 3.5mm stereo plug. I now see a few things I was doing wrong. I feel confident enough now to have another crack.
Thanks for your time and enjoy your day :)