Help me identify this component?

Need help with a project? Trying to find a component? Post any general technical questions here.
Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:14 pm

Help me identify this component?

Post by Darrenshan » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:28 pm

Can anyone help me ID this component, please? and if possible where I can buy 1 (or 10!)

The item, as best that I can describe, is a switch actuator or housing for a micro switch.

The actuator is fastened to a desk and inside the desk, the micro switch sits inside the actuator so when the actuator is pressed, it presses the microswitch.

The key thing here is that I can remove the micro switch, complete with the associated equipment and leave the actuator in place, bolted to the desk.

I obviously could just fit a normal SPST switch to the desk but then I would have to unsolder the wires to the switch, or fit spade connectors and pull them off when I wanted to remove the equipment.
2017-01-05 15.18.51.jpg
2017-01-05 15.18.51.jpg (43.97 KiB) Viewed 2656 times
2017-01-05 15.18.33.jpg
2017-01-05 15.18.33.jpg (69.71 KiB) Viewed 2656 times
2017-01-05 15.18.25.jpg
2017-01-05 15.18.25.jpg (89.32 KiB) Viewed 2656 times

Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Help me identify this component?

Post by David » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:36 pm

Hmmm ... I must say that I haven't come across anything just like this with a detachable microswitch. Presumably the actuator has to be fixed on the desktop? Could you use for example a reed switch inside with a bar magnet on top of the desk?

Google is the go-to place for out of the way things. Try searching for "key operated microswitches" - you may something to assist amidst the millions there are to choose from!

Post Reply