Double pole double throw relay

Need help with a project? Trying to find a component? Post any general technical questions here.
Tryin2learn

Double pole double throw relay

Post by Tryin2learn » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:56 pm

Hiya I am just learning electronics so I am struggling with a relay I have a schematic drawing but can't understand it so can someone help please . I have a Omron MY2N 8 pin relay and I am trying to wire it up to operate a 24 vdc actuator off a extractor fan .I need to know what wire goes on pin one from where say 240 vac which is what the extractor runs off what wire goes on pin 2 and where from and so on thank`s Keith .Could anyone recommend a place to look up the abbreviations used so I can learn to do this myself in future many thank`s keith

David

Re: Double pole double throw relay

Post by David » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:17 pm

Hello
A quick Google search shows that the Omron MY2N is one of a large family of relays, with different ratings and coil configurations. It is difficult to give you any real guidance as your description of what you want to do is not really explicit. May I make a suggestion? If you are truly "Tryin2learn" I think you should get hold of a copy of "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill. That will give you a very sound grounding in the subject. Try EBay for low cost editions. (I still have my copy of the first edition, and still refer to it!)

Tryin2learn

Post by Tryin2learn » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:54 pm

Thanks I will try that . What I was trying to do like I said I have a extractor fan and the vent hole is about 10 inch and it's unbelievable how munch draught comes back through the hole . It doesn't help living on top of a hill .right the plan was to take the 240 AC power of the fan motor so when I switch the extractor on or off it will operate the relay .I will have a permanent 24 vdc supply that i will connect to the relay to operate a actuator that will pull up and down a metal plate hanging over the aforementioned hole like a sash window going up and down . So what I need to no is what wire goes where on the relay and where to .thanks Keith

David

Post by David » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:15 am

OK. I have a better idea of what you want to do.

**WARNING** - you must be very careful as to which relay in the Omron family you have - the MY2 family does include some with 240v coils, but if you connected the 240v supply going to the fan across a 12v coil, you would get an unseasonable display of fireworks, or much worse! Please be VERY careful when you are working with mains voltages - they can be fatal.

Two ideas - get a relay with a 240v coil (DO download the data sheet for this family of relays - you will find all the data necessary), or put a phone type charger with a 6 or 12v output across the fan supply, and then connect its output to a 6 or 12v coil.

The 24 v supply to the actuator can then be switched - see the data sheet for pin connections. Hope this helps.

Tryin2learn

Post by Tryin2learn » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:05 am

Hiya the relay is a MY2N OMRON 220/240 vac (s) part no 0366Y1 10a 250vac 30vdc .The idea is when I switch my extractor on the power goes to the extractor fan and on to the relay then 24 vdc goes to a actuator that pulls up a steel plate on the out side wall that seals the vent hole then when I the extractor is switched off the plate lowers and seals the vent hole back up much like a sash window going up and down .thanks keith

David

Post by David » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:31 am

I hope the project goes well.