Weird Hall Effect Sensor output

Need help with a project? Trying to find a component? Post any general technical questions here.
mini

Weird Hall Effect Sensor output

Post by mini » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:47 am

I have just bought 3 linear hall effect sensos of type SS495A. However, when I hook them up to my Arduino Uno's analog input, I get some really weird results.

I use a 5V power supply, and my output is 0.8V - always. It does not respond at all when I hold a magnet nearby.

According to the data sheet, the null output should be 2.5V, and it's sensitivity is 3.125 mV/G.

I have checked both the supply voltage and the output voltage with a multimeter, so I don't think there is anything wrong with my Arduino setup, and I have checked with 3 different sensors. I am really confused. Does anyone have a clue as to whats going on?

I bought them from kynix, one of the most famous supplier of electronics. They were brand new, and they were shipped in ESD protective bags so it would surprise me if all of them are fried.

I did not use any of the digital pins on the Arduino. I just connected to the 5V power pin, to the ground pin, and to the analog input (A0). I measured the voltage across V+ and Gnd pin on the sensor with a DMM, it was 5V. And I measured between GND and the output pin, which was 0.8V. This is the same result as I get from the analogRead.

David

Re: Weird Hall Effect Sensor output

Post by David » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:11 pm

The first thing to do is to test the Hall devices. Connect up a 5v psu and make sure the connections are correct (in your picture, the left lead is +, the centre ground, and the output is on the rhs lead). Check that 2.5v appears on the output lead when there is no magnetic field about. This should change in the presence of N or S poles. Post results here!