windscreen wiper motor query

Need help with a project? Trying to find a component? Post any general technical questions here.
oram

windscreen wiper motor query

Post by oram » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:56 am

Hi all, been off here for a while as had some learning to do.

Anyhow.

I have just ordered a windscreen wiper motor as I needed a fair amount of lifting power for a project. I haven't used one before. I was wondering if there is anything specific I need to be careful of with the wiring and power supply? It's rated 12v 40w. I was just going to supply it with a Mains 12v transformer, but realised it's more powerful than anything I've used yet and thought I should ask before plugging it in.

Thanks

Oram

David

Re: windscreen wiper motor query

Post by David » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:51 pm

What exactly do you mean by a "Mains 12v transformer"? If you are intending to use one of those blocks which plug into a mains socket, of the type typically used for charging phones, be careful. (Post a pic if you want.)You must find a 12v power supply which will supply at least 4A, and preferably more, as current consumption will go up with load. Also, the supply MUST be DC - if you have a chunky transformer giving 12V AC, then that is totally unsuitable without rectification of the output.

Why not experiment with a 12v car battery? that would supply all the power you are likely to need! Also you could try powering the motor from a simple battery charger (not the sophisticated ones - they may not like the highly inductive motor). Have fun!