LED scrolling sign

Need help with a project? Trying to find a component? Post any general technical questions here.
kylefoster

LED scrolling sign

Post by kylefoster » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:25 am

Hi Everyone,

New here as you can see and I'm thinking of starting a project. You've all seen those scrolling LED signs:

I would like to know if it's possible to control what the sign shows using electrical inputs other than a PC. I could go into a lot of detail into the project but there are a few of these signs that are coincidentally the exact size of the rear brake lights of my car:

I'd like to create a 'sequential' turn signal system. These products already exist but only in the USA and the leds only need to be red. Since I live in the UK, I need the leds to be multicoloured. I have approached several companies who sell the existing systems but for some reason, it is beyond them to supply me with a multicoloured system.

Is it possible to replicate brake lights and turn signal lights with one of these signs using a combination of the supplied software, the wiring in the car and something like a Raspberry Pi?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'm eager to get stuck into something like this!

Many thanks,

Kyle