PIC serial interface

Need help with a project? Trying to find a component? Post any general technical questions here.
vitesse

PIC serial interface

Post by vitesse » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:17 pm

Hi there,

Bit of a question regarding serial interfacing of a PIC16F872

Im looking to modify my PIC development board (its on stripboard) to add a serial interface for conenction to the PC, can someone please advise me of the best way to go about it, I think i can grasp the programming side of it but its the actual associated electronics and connection to the PC leaving me a little baffled.

Im guessing it will need a MAX232 for the interface but not sure how to hook up, and is this achievable from a 5v supply as that was all I put on the board (LM317).

Thanks

Tom

Simon (Webmaster)
Site Admin

Re: PIC serial interface

Post by Simon (Webmaster) » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:35 pm

Hi

As you say you will need an RS232 transceiver, normally the MAX232. From memory this will operate from a 5V supply and needs 4 capacitors to operate an internal charge pump to generate the +/-10V voltage levels needed for RS232, along with a decoupling capacitor. The best thing is to get the datasheet from Maxim's website (www.maxim-ic.com) - I'm sure there will be a circuit diagram showing the connections required in there.
Simon Carter
Electronics 2000
http://www.electronics2000.co.uk