Digital Locks

Need help with a project? Trying to find a component? Post any general technical questions here.
CaylinBrooke

Digital Locks

Post by CaylinBrooke » Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:14 pm

Hi Everyone! I have a digital lock at the entrance, it reads Lockcard, fingerprints and code number. A couple of days ago there was a power surge in my house. Nothing special, but my digital lock is doing strange things, it can open the door in the middle of the night, does not recognize the fingerprint, the code number can have up to 3 wrong numbers and it still opens the door. What should I do, should I call for an electrician or for a locksmith?

SkyeDAw

Re: Digital Locks

Post by SkyeDAw » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:55 am

Digital locks are great if they work properly, in the worst case you won't be able to access your home and you will have to break through your entrance door. But I am pretty sure you can call a locksmith, they are surely working with this type of locks. More than that they will give you a warranty for their work, this means you can be sure your lock will work properly. By the way, what kind of locks are you using, some models might have a hard reset mode, it will reset your lock to factory settings and it might work for you!
Last edited by SkyeDAw on Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David

Post by David » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:05 am

Mend it with a new one.

ElliotMor

Post by ElliotMor » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:10 pm

SkyeDAw wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:55 am Digital locks are great if they work properly, in the worst case you won't be able to access your home and you will have to break through your entrance door. But I am pretty sure you can call a locksmith, they are surely working with this type of locks. More than that they will give you a warranty for their work, this means you can be sure your lock will work properly. By the way, what kind of locks are you using, some models might have a hard reset mode, it will reset your lock to factory settings and it might work for you!
Yeah, mine has a hard reset mode, you need to press a small button under the lock istelf, the button can be accessed with a needle or with a toothpick

SkyeDAw

Post by SkyeDAw » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:01 am

ElliotMor wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:10 pm
SkyeDAw wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:55 am Digital locks are great if they work properly, in the worst case you won't be able to access your home and you will have to break through your entrance door. But I am pretty sure you can call a locksmith, they are surely working with this type of locks. More than that they will give you a warranty for their work, this means you can be sure your lock will work properly. By the way, what kind of locks are you using, some models might have a hard reset mode, it will reset your lock to factory settings and it might work for you!
Yeah, mine has a hard reset mode, you need to press a small button under the lock istelf, the button can be accessed with a needle or with a toothpick
Most of them have a reset button, you just need to find it. My lock does not have a proper button but it has a reset mode, you can access it by pressing some buttons at the same time, it was shown to me by the locksmith. To be honest I had never need to use reset mode, but in case I'll need it I know how to access it

CaylinBrooke

Post by CaylinBrooke » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:00 pm

Thank you all for the comments, the issue was solved easier then I thought, I just had to call a locksmith bexleyheath to solve this issue, it took him a couple of minutes to solve it. Also he had changed me the lock, it was on warranty and as far as I know this type of lock shouldn't switch off on a power surge as does not have anything in common with the power source, it works from batteries, and the battery was dead. So, the solution was even easier then I thought, gladly I called a locksmith as I would never thought about a dead battery

SkyeDAw

Post by SkyeDAw » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:55 am

CaylinBrooke wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:00 pm Thank you all for the comments, the issue was solved easier then I thought, I just had to call a locksmith to solve this issue, it took him a couple of minutes to solve it. Also he had changed me the lock, it was on warranty and as far as I know this type of lock shouldn't switch off on a power surge as does not have anything in common with the power source, it works from batteries, and the battery was dead. So, the solution was even easier then I thought, gladly I called a locksmith as I would never thought about a dead battery
Glad you have solved this issue of yours, and thank you for the lesson, I'll call a locksmith too in case I'll need to change the lock, I'll never try to fix this on my own